Friday, October 22, 2010

One of the nice guys

Today's post will deviate a bit from my usual banter about the condition of my legs or my progress with training. Instead I want to dedicate today's post to Bill Collie, a fellow cyclist who passed away last week while riding.

I didn't know Bill extremely well, in fact, he knew my older brother much better having grown up going to the same schools and graduating together. I would talk to Bill at random rides and bike races where I would see him at the beginning and end, while he rode away from me during. He was quiet and soft spoken off the bike, but on the bike, he was an animal. Dropping most, if not all, of the competition despite his not-so-noticeable setbacks with his heart condition. Regardless of how soft spoken he was or how angry he made you while trying to keep his wheel, you couldn't help but like the guy. And, judging from last night's services in Wise, there were possibly thousands more that felt the same way.

When I arrived at the church, the line to get into the doors stretched down to the end of the block. After an hour of standing, I made my way into the church. When I came out I saw the line had grown to stretch to the end of the block, down the next sidewalk, across the road and almost reached the intersection of Main St. and Birchfield Rd.

To be such a quiet and soft spoken guy, seems Bill had a profound effect on so many people. One of the truly nice guys in the world and he will be missed, no matter how well you knew him.

No comments:

Post a Comment