Monday, October 4, 2010

Calm before the storm

I guess I should report on my weekend with training and all. I will say that I did not get to do any research on charities over the weekend, but I did officially decide that I will be doing the Nashville Marathon in April. I hear that it's a good one, plus I have friends in Nashville that I haven't seen for a while.

The first phase of my training is to be able to run a half marathon. The whole enchilada is too much to think about this early in the training process, so my short-term goal is to be able to run 13.1 miles, preferably in two hours. If I can get a half down to two hours or less, then I think I can do 26.2 at or under four hours.

Chris Dillow and I did get to run for a bit on Saturday at the MSG Cyclocross race. I didn't really go for distance so much as I just wanted to work the soreness out of my legs from Day 1. For most of the weekend I've had a very sore and tight right calf, but it does feel much better today...just in time to start my first full week of training. Since I was able to run about four miles last Thursday, I'm going to do the same tomorrow, then try to add a mile or so to it on the next day I run. If I plan it right, I should be around 13ish miles by the time the BAE Half Marathon rolls around on November 13. Maybe I'll run some of it soon and invite all of my readers, so you can all see just how poorly I run!

Thanks for the support and keep those donations coming!

4 comments:

  1. Have you check out any of the marathon training plans? I hear there are some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, i think you should run too in honor of your Cancer Survivor little sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have. Chris emailed me a good one and I've checked out some forums to find some good training tips. Most the I've looked into have one common thread, and that's increasing your time and/or distance one day of your training week. The difference between most of them is how you want to perform and your fitness level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg, what she said. the half at least. i can send you the plan that i have.

    ReplyDelete